The 2018-19 flu season is upon us in Oklahoma. Please take the following considerations into account in order to prevent the spread of the flu in your school:
- Wash hands often, ideally with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds.
- Hand sanitizer, including gels, rubs and hand wipes, work well as long as they contain at least 60 percent alcohol. Always read and follow label instructions when using hand sanitizer.
- Keep hands away from the face and avoid touching the mouth, nose or eyes.
- Use tissues for coughs and sneezes or cough into the inside of the elbow. Do not cough into hands!
- Children learn best by example. Be a positive influence by modeling these behaviors yourself.
More information can be found in OSDE’s Flu Action Kit, which includes resources on hand-washing guidance, flu facts, flu prevention and flu control recommendations.